Helen Keller

by Kamryn from Bradford

The best and most beautiful thing in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.
Helen Keller
Helen Keller

When you were young did you lose your sight and hearing at the age of 19 months? Well, my hero Helen Keller did. She got very very sick and she didn't get what she needed to treat it so she lost her hearing and her sight. She got an operation at the age of 16 which restored her sight.

Helen and Annie
Helen and Annie

Helen Keller was born on June, 27, 1880 in Tuscumbia, Alabama. Helen Keller was home schooled by Anne Sullivan. Her family members were Kate Adams Keller (her mother), Arthur Henley Keller (her dad), James and Simpson Keller (her brothers) and Mildred Ardphilips Brooks Keller (her sister). Helen had learned the meaning of 'water' and her vision had been excellent.

Anne Sullivan influenced Helen. This person influenced my hero's life by helping Helen follow rules simply. Helen Keller's obstacles were not being able to see or hear when she was 19 months old! She overcame her obstacles by learning the meanings of water, food and stuff like that. Anne Sullivan helped her to learn those words. It was difficult because she was blind and deaf.

Helen Keller
Helen Keller

She became a hero by writing books about her life and enormous challenges of blindness and being deaf which she overcame. Helen's actions in her life were getting a job as an author writing one book then writing four more. Then she ended up writing five or more books just about her life as a kid and how hard her life was. She did go to school. She learned to write and read by Anne tracing words on her hands. But when she turned 16 her sight had been partially restored by a operation. Before the operation she learned Braille to write and to read. She met some amazing people like Mr Alexander Graham Bell. My hero accomplished learning the words water, food, cup and shelter.

Helen displayed respect, creativity and optimism. She exampled respect when Anne was teaching. She exampled creativity when she was learning new words and optimism when she didn't want to eat with a fork and knife but she didn't want to. My hero influences me by her not giving up in learning what the meanings of things are even though she was blind and deaf. What I'm telling you is that Helen Keller was a remarkable woman in everything that she did in her life. I got my information from a book called 'The Value Of Determination A Story About Helen Keller'. I also got some information from a website.