Grizzly

by Kassandra from Calgary

"I can honestly say, and I've said it a hundred times, I wouldn't be here if it weren't for that dog. I'd be dead. That bear would have killed me." - Paul Guitard
 (Animal Heroes by: Karleen Bradford)
(Animal Heroes by: Karleen Bradford)

Grizzly was born in 1986 and he grew up in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. He grew up with the Guitard family and had puppies with Kiska his mate. Paul Guitard trained all of the dogs to be sled dogs and Grizzly was the lead dog.

Grizzly is extraordinary because he survived a bear attack, while saving his owner, Paul Guitard. When Paul was taking his dogs for a run they came across two bear cubs. All of a sudden the mother bear flew out of the bush and attacked. She grabbed Paul and pulled him off his bike. The dogs went on a hundred meters or so until Grizzly brought them to a halt. He charged at the bear trying to make her let Paul go. The bear let Paul go for a few seconds and tried to get rid of Grizzly. Mr. Guitard started up a tree when the black bear turned and sank her teeth into Paul's right foot. Paul Guitard started kicking at her trying to make her let go. Grizzly went for the bear again and she let go. Paul scrambled up the tree. This went on for about six hours. When his friend and brother-in-law came to the rescue, Paul instructed them to go get a gun. Grizzly fought the bear off for another hour. Then the sound of all-terrain vehicles filled the air. The bear began to charge until Paul's friend shot her.

Grizzly leaping at the bear (I made it.)

Our furry friend’s story has been put on the Internet all over the place and he got a medal from Purina.

(I made it.)
(I made it.)

The reason I chose Grizzly is because I love animals. Fighting off a black bear for several hours, while harnessed to seven other dogs and escaping with only a small gash on his nose where the bear got him, is quite amazing.

CM Magazine - 27 thrilling true life-saving stories, all done by animals
Huskey Heroes - have fun with lots of doggie stuff
Howling Dog Tours - enjoy an exciting dog sled tour
Purina Animal Hall of Fame - 37 years of animal heroes