Great Grandpa (GG)

by Erin from Innisfil

My hero was born on November 29th, 1930. My hero is William McLean A.K.A Great Grandpa (GG). William was born in Scotland. He also grew up in Scotland with his Mother (Margaret McLeod), Father (Matthew McLean) and his Brother (Doug McLean). He went to elementary and high school. He had a kit of interests when he was a youth, he really wanted to get into the war, army or both. He moved to Toronto, Ontario and that is where he met the love of his life, Laura Pelkonen and they had three children, Charlene (My Nan), Lynn (My great aunt) and Donna (My other great aunt). Laura Pelkonen died in the year of 1987. She died of lung cancer.

William McLean had very big influence in his life and that was his big brother, Douglas. Douglas was in the 2nd World War, but unfortunately his plane went down over the Atlantic Ocean when he was doing his duty. They never found Douglas. That influence was big to William because his brother was in the war and William wanted to follow his brother's footsteps.

William faced a lot of challenges like trying to get into the war, army or both, getting over the loss of his big brother, getting over the loss of his wife, fighting for his life through cancer and battling a stroke. These challenges affected him because he didn't like staying in the hospital and getting over the death of a loved one isn't easy.

William did a lot of things that were important. He trained in the army, he wanted to get into the war even though his brother died fighting and he fought for his life during cancer and a stroke. Although William didn't get into the war, he still got into the army.

My Great Grandpa is one of my heroes because he tried to become a peacemaker. He also didn't give up when he was diagnosed with cancer and had a stoke. My Great Grandpa was and still is very brave and sweet.

William really wanted to get into the war or the army, but he only got into the army. Even thought his brother Douglas died fighting in the war, he still really wanted to get in. When he was in the army he trained for several years. When he moved to Ontario he met Laura Pelkonen and they had 3 daughters. Laura died in 1987.

And that was my biography about my GG.