Georgeta Andrunache

by Cuzdriorean from Dej, Romania

My heroine is the rower Georgeta Andrunache. I consider her a heroine because of her many sports achievements as a multiple Olympic champion and world champion who has represented Romania at different competitions, having exceptional results and showing the world the pride of being a Romanian.

Georgeta Andrunache was born on April 14th 1976 in Botosani, Romania. She began her competitions in 1997, at Lac d' Aiguebellette, France, where she won the first world champion title. The rower has won a lot of medals of which the most important are the five world champion titles: 1997 - Lac d' Aiguebbellette (France), 1998 - Koln, 1999 - St. Catharines (Canada), 2001 - Lucerna, 2002 - Sevilla and the five gold medals won at the Olympic Games: two at Sidney in 2000, two at Atena in 2004 and one at Beijing in 2008. Also, she won four silver medals (1997 - Lac d' Aiguebbellette, 2001 - Lucerna, 2003 - Milano, 2007 - Munchen) and two bronze medals (2003 - Milano, 2007 - Munchen). In 2008, at the Olympic Games in China, she and Viorica Susanu won the fifth gold medal in 7 minutes, 20 seconds and 60 hundreds. It was a hard ride because Georgeta had problems with her right hand and they competed with China, Belarus, United Kingdom, New Zealand and Germany. With this event she equaled Nadia Comaneci and Elisabeta Lipa in number of Olympic gold medals and she reached the highest echelon of Romanian sports.

In 2003, Andrunache was designated the best rower of the year by the Romanian Federation of Rowing. She is sponsored by CS Dinamo Bucuresti. Due to her results she was chosen in to be part of the of the Romanian Olympic and Sports Committee.

Georgeta Andrunache is a new legend of Romanian sports. Although she is very famous and appreciated for her results, she remains a modest person and she will continue the fight for new medals and titles. I appreciate her for her determination and because she put her own life`s interests second behind the training and competitions, to make Romania famous and the Romanian people proud of her and to show our true value to the whole world.