George Egerton

by Colin from Innisfil

"See you at the big one!"

George Egerton was born on June 28, 1946 in Toronto Ontario. He lived to January 26, 2008. George grew up around the Lawrence and Dufferin area. George had a wife named Gloria and he had two daughters named Kelly and Dee-dee. George went to school and he got his grade 12 diploma. George was interested as a youth in Football, hockey and soccer.

George had many influences in his life. One of his main influences was his dad, Stanley. Stanley is one of his influences because he was a great firefighter and he saved a lot of people and that influenced George to be like his father. George followed his dad's footsteps and became a great firefighter.

George had experienced many challenges in his lifetime. George loved to fight fires for his community; saving lives was one of the best things he cherished. George loved to be there for the community. These challenges were very special for Mr. Egerton, because he always wanted to lend a hand. Mr. Egerton was a firefighter known in many different communities. One of George's hobbies was to be with horse and his wife. George grew up just like his father, tough as a rock and loved to fight fires.

I thought my uncle was very important because he was a Toronto firefighter for 30 years, and continued his success as a volunteer firefighter in East Gwillimbury for 16 years. Then George ended his firefighter career and everyone remembers him as the good guy named "Captain Egerton" or "George Egerton." My uncle is a hero to me because he saved lots of families and lives because he was a firefighter. George had a lot of character traits like caring, giving, honest and most of all respect.

On January 25, 2008, George went to a call at night. Then he came home and went to bed. In the morning his wife heard a big deep breath so she turned over on the bed and look at him and he passed away of a massive heart attack at 5:30 in the morning on January 26, 2008. He inspired me by saving lots of people's lives and helping people. He was a good role model for me and my family.