George Armstrong Custer

by Ryan from Westerville

George A. Custer was born on December 5, 1839. He was born in New Rumly, Harrison County, Ohio. His birth name was George Armstrong Custer. George Custer’s father was Emanuel Henry Custer. His mother was Maria Kirk Patrick. He also had a brother. His brother’s name was Tom.

Here are some fun facts about George A. Custer’s early life. He wanted to be a soldier from an early age. He had many nicknames growing up. He was called: Armstrong, Autie, Bo, Curly, Funny, Long Hair and Yellow Air. Custer grew up in Monroe, Michigan. George was the 10th child, and his family was very poor.

George A. Custer married Elizabeth Bacon. Unfortunately they had no children, so George was never a father. He and his wife lived at Fort Abraham Lincoln. George worked as an army general. He is famous for fighting in the battle of Little Big Horn. His brother fought with him in the battle. Custer was in the army for 38 years. Custer became a general by being flamboyant and doing daring tasks.

George Custer is an Ohio hero. Here’s how he became a hero. Custer is known for fighting in the Army, specifically the Battle of Little Big Horn. Even though he got his whole group and himself murdered, I still consider him a hero.

Here are some of Custer’s major accomplishments. Custer is a war hero. Not only is he a war hero, but he was also a major general. Unfortunately, Custer died in 1876. He was 46 when he died.

Here are some interesting facts for 1876. Rutherford B. Hayes was elected president on June 11. On June 15, a major earthquake hit Japan followed by a tsunami. Last but not least, on June 17 the Battle of Rosebud began.

Unfortunately George Custer and his brother Tom died at the Battle of Little Big Horn in 1876. They lost to Indians because there were too many Indians and not enough Americans. He and his brother were buried at the battlefield. Later on though, Custer’s remains were moved to West Point Cemetery.

Custer is known mostly for his defeat at the Battle of Little Big Horn. Most people think that Custer is a poor leader because he led a reckless attack and got his Army killed. Even though most people think about Custer poorly, I think Custer is a hero. I think Custer is a hero because he sacrificed his life for our country.

Rice Jr., Earle. The Battle of Little Big Horn. Lucent Books

Gibson, Beth. "George Armstrong Custer - Cavalry." [Online] Available http://www.franksrealm.com/Indians/cavalry/pages/cavalry-custer.htm.

Hickman, Kennedy. "ndian Wars: Lt. Colonel George A. Custer." [Online] Available http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/1800sarmybiographies/p/custer.htm.

Mogahan, Jon. "The Life of George Armstrong Custer." [Online] Available http://www.civilwarhome.com/custerbi.htm.