George Wilson Allen

by Sarah from Bradford

Even though somethings hard don`t give up because if you give up you will never reach your goal.

I chose my hero because he fought in a war in the desert and he is one of the Queen of England`s messengers. He was born in 1917 but we can't find his birth certificate. He was born in a small town called Hamilton in Scotland and he went to primary school. His family members were Alice Niven Stewart Allen, his wife, and Ruth Mary Gilchrest Allen Cameron, his daughter. Helen Mcbeth Allen was his mother, and John Mcnaugtton Allen was his father. An interesting fact from his childhood is he was adopted by the Lawrie family. We think he was about four or five years old when he got adopted.

The Second World War was declared in 1939. He joined the army when he became old enough, around the age of seventeen or eighteen. We don`t know what obstacles he had, though he did fight in a war in the deserts of Palestine and Egypt. He photographed and collected postcards to document what he saw.

He fought in a war in the desert in Palestine and Egypt with the second battalion of the Scots Guards. He was the messenger for the Queen of England and he got a medal for his courage.

He showed creativity because he took beautiful pictures. He was courageous in joining the army. He was respectful because he was responsible for being in the second battalion of the Scots Guards. My great grandpa influences me to be whatever I want to be. Also to believe in myself, be courageous and much more.

I am very grateful to be doing my hero project about my great grandfather. He died when he was about 25 in a motorcycle accident. My grandmother was 3 years old; she is now 75. To me he changed the world. He isn't just a regular hero, he is MY hero!