Firefighters

by Jovana from Tetovo

As you might know, there are lots of fires in the world at the moment. My country is one of the most affected places because it is in the middle of the Balkan Peninsula, where it is very hot and the temperature is very high. Few days ago, I was sitting on the beach and reading a newspaper, then I saw an article about the fires that are making ravage in my country.

The next day, I saw a big quantity of smoke above the nearest mountain and an old women told me that that's the latest fire that appeared in this region. Also it was the dangerous one, because from all the fires, this one was closest to a settlement, and I do not want to think what could have happened if the fire had reached it.

Suddenly, out of nowhere two helicopters appeared, carrying a container full with water, apparently they were going to use the water to put out the fire. At the end of the day, the smoke was gone and there was no more fire.

I never found out who were the people in the two helicopters, but they saved lots of lives, that's why they are my heroes. I think that all the people in the world should follow the example of these fire-fighters, because the most noble thing in the world is when one person can give or save the life of another.

<a href=http://www.fire.uni-freiburg.de/GFMCnew/2007/07/0726/20070726_ba.htm>Firefighting Helicopter</a>
Firefighting Helicopter

Macedonia: - Forest Fires Situation Report
The Balkans - Forest fires