Florence Kelley

by Caitlin from Innisfil

Florence Kelley was born on September 12, 1859 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S. She grew up with her father, William D. Kelley. Florence graduated from Cornell University. When she was young, her interest was stopping child labour.

Florence Kelley's main focus in her life was to stop child labour. This was her main focus because when her father took her on a factory tour, Florence noticed that the workers were children and the children were working with dangerous chemicals. This was influential because when she saw the child workers, she was a child also. She didn't want herself or other kids to be forced to work either.

I think a challenge that she faced was her age. She wanted to do something important for the world when she was only twelve years old. That challenge affected my hero because people probably didn't listen to her. Adults probably wouldn't listen to her because they didn't want to take orders from a twelve-year-old girl.

She wanted to stop child labor at a young age. I feel that is important because most of the heroes I've read about started to do their heroic thing in their twenties. She also started the National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People (NAACP). That is important to me because she helped stop racism, and she was a white person.

Florence Kelley is a hero to me because she did very heroic and important things in her life. Florence Kelley helped stop child labour, she started the National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People, and she helped stop female discrimination. Florence Kelley displayed courage because she stood up for many people. She was also caring because she cared about what was happening to all those child workers, coloured people and women in the world!