Frederick Banting

by Cameron from Bradford

"No one ever had an idea in a dress suit" - Frederick Banting

Could you imagine that one girl could change you life forever? Well Frederick Banting did because one girl did change his life forever. This girl he walk to school with had diabetes and one day she did not walk with him. His parents told him she died because of the diabetes and since then he was inspired to find a cure.

Frederick Banting was born on November 14, 1891 in Alliston, Ontario, Canada. He died on February 21, 1941. He went to University in Toronto at the University of Toronto.

I think one of his biggest obstacles of all is that he asked the professor if he could use the lab to research on diabetes but he said no. Frederick would not take no for an answer and he went back the next day and asked again but this time he said yes. He was not getting paid to do this so he had to scrounge for food. He ended up selling his car to support his research.

One of the most important things he did is test the drug on dogs before humans because they were not sure what the drug would do to humans. Then they tried it on one another before they tried it on their first person. The person they first gave the drug to was a 10 year old boy.

Some of his traits are determination because the professor said no but he kept coming back and one day he eventually said yes. He had bravery because he went into the war. He went into World War 1 and 2. Unfortunately he died on February 21, 1941 in an airplane crash. He was on the plane during World War 2 while testing a flight suit for pilots.

Frederick Banting influenced me because he has a never say no attitude. I like that he did not try his first try on a patient and he tried it on himself so that proves he cares about his patients.