Jaime Escalante

by Brandy from Raleigh

What is a hero? A hero may be defined as something different to different people. To some, a hero may simply be someone who was there for him or her at a certain place and time. To someone else, a hero might be someone who attempted to save the world. To me, Jaime Escalante was a hero in a simpler way. His perseverance outshined above all and his determination inspired others to accomplish great things.

Jaime Escalante was born in La Paz, Bolivia. He first started teaching physics and mathematics. He taught there for 9 years but then wanted to move away to the United States and teach here. He attended the Universidad of Puerto Rico where he chose to take science and math classes. He longed to teach in America, but, being from Bolivia, he could not speak English. His love of teaching encouraged him to go back to school and learn English in order to be able to teach in America. Escalante also chose to study at Pasadena City College to earn a degree in electronics. He took a day job, and continued studying in order to get a mathematics degree. It took Jaime eight years to achieve his goals and teach in the U.S.

After Escalante accomplished these goals for himself, in 1976, he began to teach at Garfield High School, located in Los Angeles, California. Drugs, gangs, and violence were very big factors at this school, but Escalante put that aside and continued to teach. Escalante realized that a lot of these students had great potential, but they just didn't put in the effort they were capable of. He decided to motivate students to take and pass the AP calculus exam. At first, only 5 students signed up. They were required to come to school one hour early, and always had to complete their homework. Finally, 18 pupils total were convinced to take it, and they actually passed the exam. The Educational Testing Service, which administers the test, couldn't believe that students from that school had actually passed the exam, let alone take it, and accused the students of cheating. Escalante encouraged the students to retake the test and prove to them that they were capable of passing such tests. Most of the 18 students retook it and passed, making Escalante a hero instantly.

Jaime Escalante was a hero to the others around him. Specifically, the students he taught. He brought out the inner talent in each of them and encouraged them to do great things with their minds. Deep down the students knew what they were capable of, they just didn't believe in themselves until someone believed in them, and with that they knew that they could set a goal and make it in life. One of the students said, “Mr. Escalante’s secret is he really cares. He made us feel powerful, that we could do anything." "By 1991, the number of Garfield students taking advanced placement examinations in math and other subjects had increased to 570. Escalante's encouragement and perseverance helped these students accomplish anything and made them believe in everything they could do. The AP results proved his students were capable of success and continuing their schooling in college.

Jaime Escalante has proven himself to be a great hero. When obstacles came before him, he never gave up and persevered more and more. Jaime differed from other teachers in many ways. Though he motivated and taught, a lot of teachers would have just given up and not have continued trying to make the students of Garfield High actually take the AP exam. I look up to this man for his determination and for influencing their attitudes. Jaime Escalante has proven himself worthy enough to be a hero to many others as well.

Jaime Escalante - Hall of Fame Info
The National Teachers Hall of Fame - More info on Jaime Escalante
-
Pasadena City College - Where he attended college

Bustamante, Roberto. "Biography of Jaime Escalante." [Online] Available http://www.bc.edu/offices/ahana/about/history/escalante/. 2006.