Elisabeta Lipa

by Roxana from Dej, Romania

My Heroine, Elisabeta Lipa

Elisabeta Lipa is my heroine because she is a famous sport woman, not only in Romania, but also in the world, being the greatest rower in the history of the Olympic Games. I consider her a special person because she did everything she could to win at competitions, proving a perfect team spirit and a brave fighter. She has always been proud to be a Romanian and she is fighting to develop the Romanian rowing, to encourage the young rowers to continue her efforts and success.

Elisabeta Lipa won many national and international medals and she was elected president of the Romanian Rowing Federation and president of sport club Dinamo Bucharest. She won 5 gold medals, 2 silver ones and a bronze one, six Olympiads, and was 25 times the champion of Romania. In 1984 she won a gold medal in Los Angeles, in 1988 a silver medal and a bronze one in Seoul, in 1992 a gold medal and a silver one in Barcelona, in 1996 a gold medal in Atlanta, in 2000 at Sydney, in 2004 in Athens.

In 2000, she was declared the best rower of the century by the International Federation of Rowing. She’s Emeritus Master of sport, so I am proud of my heroine, and I think all the Romanians are proud of her. I learned from her experience and success that if we do what we like and work hard, we can succeed in whatever we wish.