Elizabeth Bierk

by Claire Foran from Peterborough

In memory of Elizabeth Bierk
Liz and her husband David
Liz and her husband David

A mother, a wife, a friend and a wonderful part of the community. Liz Bierk was a very close friend to me and my family. She died one year ago from cancer. Her husband, David, was a very successful painter; he died four years ago from cancer. I chose Liz Bierk as my hero for many reasons. She has always been one of my role models. She was such a strong and kind woman, when you were around her you couldn't help but feel happy.

After her husband died, Liz still managed to keep his gallery going and kept the arts scene in Peterborough alive. She was respected all around the community. She hosted parties, art shows and sponsored many productions. She was on the board for many groups in Peterborough. Liz and her friend, Sue Ditta, started Peterborough Arts Week together. Despite all of her accomplishments, what really makes her my hero is how she always demonstrated all the positive character traits someone could have, and when I grow up I wish to be like her. I have never met such a devoted, kind woman. Liz Bierk is my hero.

This is one of David's paintings
This is one of David's paintings

Liz Bierk was a major arts person. She met her husband, David Bierk, at her first job, Arts Space. Even though she graduated from Queens with a French Literature degree, her heart was always in the arts. Her dream was to manage an artist or own her own private gallery. Both of her dreams came true. When she met David he was an emerging artist. They fell in love immediately, and after leaving Arts Space together, she became David's full time manager and they opened David's private gallery. Liz had four boys, Alex, Jeff, Nick and Charlie. When she and David settled in Peterborough, Liz had already started to join boards and groups. Liz was on the board for the Peterborough Singers, 4th Line Theater and DBIA (Downtown Business Improvement Area). Liz was known for her fresh arts ideas. She was part of the Peterborough singers and was on the Mayor's sentential committee. Soon enough, she and her friend, Sue Ditta, ran all the arts aspects together on that committee and organized Peterborough's first ARTS WEEK.

Liz at my parents' anniversary party!
Liz at my parents' anniversary party!

A few months before Liz found out that she was really sick, Liz and Sue Ditta formed their own company called "The Art Conspiracy." They never got to complete their first task because of Liz's sickness. As her cancer got worse, I started spending a lot of time with her. It was then when I started to really appreciate what an amazing woman she was. The summer before she died she came to my parents' 20th anniversary party. There she looked really happy and was glowing. At that moment, I thought that she had a chance. And no matter how much pain she was in, Liz saw everyone and said hi. It was so wonderful to have her there. I loved her very much.

Liz died at the age of 52 that October of 2006.