Edgar Allan

by David from Prescott, Canada

Edgar Allen
Edgar Allen

My hero is Edgar Allan because he was the founder of Easter Seals. He changed the lives of many children with special needs when he created this foundation. He has helped people with disabilities for more than 80 years.

Edgar Allan was born in Newton, Massachusetts, May 8th, 1862. In 1907 Edgar’s son Homer was in a streetcar accident. Homer died because of inadequate health care. This made Edgar do something to change things.

Edgar spent 14 years as treasurer and manager for the Elyria Memorial Hospital. He found that many children with special needs were hidden away or not getting what they needed. This is why in 1919 he founded the National Society of Crippled Children which was later renamed Easter Seals. April 15th 1915, he founded the Gates Hospital for Crippled Children. It was the first of its kind.

Edgar was also the leader of the Y.M.C.A campaigns 1911 and to the Rotary Foundation. In 1934 Edgar Allan had his first campaign to raise money for Easter Seals.

Another thing Edgar Allan did was he founded the organization called the Community Chest now known as the United Fund. Unfortunately, Edgar Allan died on September 20th 1937.

One of the reasons Edgar Allan is my hero is because he is a man of his word. When he says he will do something he will do it. Another reason I look up to him is because he never gives up. Until the day he died he was helping people with disabilities. The most important reason Edgar Allan is my hero is that he helped people like me be part of the world. Without Edgar Allan I couldn’t go to Easter Seals camp.

A man as kind and generous as Edgar Allan is a hero. Don’t you think so? I do. Without Edgar Allan my life would be a lot harder.

By David Blair