Edwin Eugene [Buzz] Aldrin

by Vanessa from Bradford

We can lift our eyes and look into the skies and move forward in an evolutionary way.
Buzz in his uniform before going into space!

Have you ever wondered what its like to set foot on the moon? My hero did! Buzz Aldrin is a very special person from going to the moon and becoming the second footstep on the moon to going on to Dancing with the Stars.

Buzz was born on January 20th, 1930 in Montclair, New Jersey. Buzz went to United States Military and Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Some of his family members are his daughter Jan {who got a tour of the space shuttle months before the liftoff}, two sons Andrew and Micheal and his wife Joan. Some interesting facts from Buzz's youth is Buzz flew in the plane at the age of six, the one his dad flew when he was a pilot. He has a picture of the Wright Brothers signed by Orville Wright and another picture signed by Amelia Earheart!

Buzz beside the module leg
Buzz beside the module leg

Buzz's father inspired him because his father was a pilot and since a little kid, Buzz wanted to go into space and make history. If Buzz's father hadn't been a pilot Buzz might not have gone into space and made history. His dad changed his life because his dad inspired him to go for his dreams. Buzz had to go though many years of training including the vomit comet. He overcame the obstacles by hard work and practise.

Some of Buzz's actions: Buzz went into space and went to the moon with Mike Collins and Neil Armstrong. He went on dancing with the stars with Ashley DelGrosse. Buzz was part of the Gemini program partnered up with Jim Lovell a good friend of Buzz. Buzz went into the military air force. He has gone to schools and taught kids about space and the moon.

Some of Buzz's achievements are Buzz became the 2nd man to set foot on the moon. He went on Dancing With the Stars, scoring fourteen points on Monday March 22nd 2010 with Ashley DelGrosse and became the oldest contestant. He achieved becoming an astronaut. Also he went to the moon without the space shuttle blowing up!

Some interesting facts from the Mission is this year it will be the 41st anniversary for the Apollo 11 mission. In 2004 President George W. Bush challenged America to return to the moon before 2020. Neil,Buzz and Mike spent twelve days, 1 hour, and 52 minutes in space before they came back. Some interesting facts about Buzz is that the creators from Toy Story copied Buzz's name for Buzz Lightyear.

Buzz displays the character traits courage, cooperation, and trustworthyness. He has courage because he went into space and onto the Moon. He has cooperation because he has to cooperate when times get tough. He is trustworthy of getting the job done.

Buzz's footprint on the moon!
Buzz's footprint on the moon!

My Hero influenced me to go for My dreams and never give up. His dream was to go into space and he chased it down. His father's love of flying became his inspiration to look to the stars. Buzz went to the moon and made history. Imagine doing that! I can. He is a great inspiration to me and I hope you he is one to you!