Dream Catchers

by Nick from Anmore, Canada

My heroes are the Dream Catchers. Ronda Alvarez-Licona is the founder of the Dream Catchers. They are a soccer team that includes homeless people on the team to get them away from drugs and homelessness. I think that they are making a difference for homeless people in VANCOUVER.

The Dream Catchers started with Rhonda, the founder of the group. She wanted to help the homeless and the unfortunate. So people like Alan Bates (mental health consultant) decided to join them from St. Paul's Hospital. Rhonda is a hero because without her none of this would be real.

The Dream Catchers are trying to solve problems centered around homelessness. Many homeless people have drug problems, mental illness or the bad luck to have lost homes, jobs and family. The Dream Catchers give them hope to stop their problems. They take drugs off their minds and show them that they are special in their own way. It would be great if more people made a soccer team and did this. They are also trying to make people feel like they belong in there community.

They have a lot of players now and I think it took a lot of courage and perseverance to get to where they are now in their soccer team. It must have been hard to put others before themselves. It would be hard to see all these homeless people suffering from losses of all kinds and turning them into hopeful soccer players of hope!

What great things can we do to change homelessness and its problems? And remember that anyone can do what Rhonda did with a lot of effort. So maybe after reading these paragraphs the Dream Catchers might be your hero too.