Dream Catchers

by Emma from Anmore, Canada

My hero are the Dream Catchers. They are a soccer team that homeless people can join and volunteers can help them get back on track. The Dream Catchers are located in Greater Vancouver, Canada. They inspire me a lot. In my opinion they are a great example for other people like me. I hope that after my story, they will be your hero too.

I first heard about the Dream Catchers when the news was on; they were showing the Dream Catchers team and I was very interested. They were saying that the soccer team was called the Dream Catchers and that it was in Greater Vancouver. So I said that is going to be my hero for the class project. Later on I got to meet the Dream Catchers and interview them. Meeting the Dream Catchers was really fun. I even got to see one of the players whose name was Peter. He came to the school and played soccer with the class. He told the class about how he was on the street for two years. He also told the class that his family prayed for him every day. I think that he is very happy with his new life playing soccer. I also got to meet the doctor of the team, Allan. He helps out the team if someone is hurt or needs help because they are feeling down.

The Dream Catchers are trying to prevent homelessness. Homelessness is a problem because it is not safe. People can get sick from the coldness. Homeless people may also not have enough food, water or clothes. Some people who live on the streets need help because they are addicted to drugs or they have a disability that needs prescription drugs. If I could drive I would go to Vancouver right now and help as many homeless people as I could.

The Dream Catchers are trying to solve homelessness by opening a free soccer team in Greater Vancouver. This way, homeless people can have fun. The hope is that by playing soccer the homeless people will get active and get courage to do other things like get a job, have a home or just get off the streets. Hopefully playing soccer will change their lives for the better. I think that is the most important thing to start off with because, when you have no home it is hard to get back on track sometimes.

The Dream Catchers are big heroes of mine, they are a great influence for kids like me. They have done so much for other people and they always put them first. They have taught me that you don't have to always think of homeless people as bad people; they are just the same but they probably had a rough time in their lives.