Davy Crockett

by Paxton, The Community School, 3rd Grade, Sun Valley, ID, USA

Davy Crockett is in the wild with his dogs.

Have you heard of the man with a raccoon hat? He fought and died in one of the most famous battles of Texas. He fought about 10,000 Mexicans with about 200 men. He explored the Wild West. There is only one answer to that question, Davy Crockett.

Davy Crockett was born on August 17, 1786. He was the 5th of 9 children. He was born in Green Country, Tennessee. On Crockett’s first day of school he beat up a school bully for embarrassing him. He ran away from home avoiding the beatings of his dad. During that time he learned his backwoodsman and trapper skills. On Crockett’s 15th birthday he came home. When Crockett was 19, his wife died and he decided that his life was full of pain and suffering.

In Davy Crockett’s later life, he explored the Wild West. After that he joined the U.S House of Representatives and fought against Thomas Jefferson in the Indian Removal Act. When Davy Crockett was 49, he joined the Alamo with 139 other Texans, Mexicans, and Americans.

In 1836 Davy Crockett died in a hero's death in the Alamo with his comrades. Today Davy Crockett is very important to Texas and America because he explored the west and fought for the independence of Texas.

Davy Crockett is a hero to me because he explored the west. He guided people to the west. He fought the Creek Indians and made it safe to go west. He fought and died for the independence of Texas.