David Gregory Banas

by Alex from Tipp City

The hero that I chose is my father, Police Officer David Gregory Banas. I chose my father because of the most amazing and brave thing he did. This is my hero story.

My father was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois. He moved to Ohio in 1977 and attended college at the University of Dayton. His first career was that of an Environmental Chemist. In 2003, he went to the Police Academy at Sinclair Community College to become a police officer. In October of 2004, he began his new career with the West Carrollton Police Department.

My father’s best accomplishment was becoming a father of 3 wonderful kids. My father is an honest, caring and loving person. He does his job very well. He is respectful to all of his citizens and his fellow officers.

One summer day in July, 2005, my dad was dispatched to a burning house. He was told there were two children trapped in the house. My dad was the first officer on the scene. As he arrived, he saw a man running out of the house with one of the kids. The child was severely burned and clinging to life. The man carried the boy to a paramedic that just arrived on the scene. But another child was still inside.

As my dad attempted to go inside to rescue the baby, he was pulled back by another police officer. Officer Gene Jarman had pulled him back because he cared enough about my father’s life. He told my dad that it was too dangerous to go inside because the house was burning.

In November 2007, my dad and the other emergency personnel that were on the scene at that horrifying moment were awarded in a ceremony. My dad and I will never forget this moment for the rest of our lives. And even to this day, we have never forgotten those children that lost their lives in that fire. My father's experience makes me realize how much bravery he had on that day.