Christopher Angu

by Prarthana Baruva and Anauska Dutta, Assam Valley School

Assam Valley School (google.com)
Assam Valley School (google.com)

Our hero is Christopher Angu. He was born on the 24th of May, 1993 in Along, Arunachal Pradesh, which is in the north-east of India. His father’s name is Mr. Jokay Angu and his mother’s name is Mrs. Ponung Angu. He also has an elder brother named Kevin.

Christopher joined The Assam Valley School in class 5 and started playing soccer at the age of 12. His hobbies are reading books, quizzing, current affairs, listening to music, singing and playing soccer. His source of motivation was his father. He received awards for soccer at various levels like School, District and State. He was also a team member of the soccer squad that won the R.I.M.C. tournament in 2010 held in Dehradun, India, which was on the national level.

A year ago he was selected (as a part of the Assam under sixteen team) to be coached by a UEFA-ranked coach, Eric Winstanley, who managed club Barnsley in the first division of the English Premiere League. Being taught by a British coach brought in a whole new dimension of tactics into their game. By now they were already coached by Assam’s top coach but they realized that they still had a long way to go. The coach looked mostly to develop basic skills like passing and shooting. Later they were taught how to control the ball and about football science, the various injuries and how to tackle them. On the eve of the end of the coaching camp they played against the Guwahati Town club (which was a professional club. There were thirty players competing for this national selection. Out of these thirty players only 18 were to be selected. Christopher and one of his friends were chosen for the best 18. During the tournament, the coach saw him play as a substitute and decided he was fit to be selected in the First 11.

Christopher's ambition in life is to join the Civil Services of India. He thinks working for the government is duty enough to the country. He thinks there is a sense of pride working for the government. He would like to work in the states which need developing. He feels developing rural India will help develop India as a whole and so he would do his best in developing the backward states and districts of India. He also says that if he got the chance to take up sports management, he certainly would. But firstly, he would like to start off in the English Premiere League. He would like to then come back to India and help set up coaching camps for aspiring players. He would also help coach his school team as he feels that he owes his school for his soccer skills.

Christopher's hero is Bastian Schwienstieger. According to him, “A hero is someone you can look up to.” According to us, “A hero is someone who does not mind criticisms but uses it for his own benefit. A hero is also someone who does brave heroic deeds with his own free will and not for fame.”

We chose Christopher as our ‘Hero’ because we believe that he is someone who fits into our description of a hero. He plays soccer not for recognition or fame but merely because he loves playing it. His passion for soccer has led him to victory. His passion will never die off. He inspires us with his dedication to soccer and teaches us that if we have a will to pursue our passion, we can do well in any aspect of life. We choose him as our hero because he has such noble thoughts like that of joining the Civil Services of India and also because whichever ambition he chooses to follow there are noble thoughts of his behind it.