Craig Kielburger

by Melanie from Barrie

A hero, a leader, and an inspiration
Kielburger in 2004 (Aaron Harris/Canadian Press)

At the age of 12, Craig Kielburger started something incredible; he had created an organization to help children from different countries who were being put through child labour. This all started one morning when he was reading a newspaper and read an article that changed his life. It was about a boy named Iqbal Masih. His photo was in the paper because he had been shot and killed for speaking out against child labour. Many said he was killed by the Pakistani carpet "mafia." The newspaper reported that Iqbal was 12 years old when he was murdered, the same age as Craig. This made Craig realize he needed to do something to stop it. He had gone to his class the next day and held up the article and told his class the story and asked if anyone wanted to help, and eighteen of his classmates agreed to help. That is when the organization Free the Children was created, Craig and his brother Mark both run the organization now.

Craig Kielbuger can be considered a hero because he started an organization to help those who are going through child labour and in poverty. His organization helps build schools, clean water programs and much more. From Craig’s passion to help children who are being put through child labour that over the years he and the organization have helped over 600,000 people.

Melanie and friend with Craig Kielburger (photo by Jamie Forget)

Craig speaks at many different events to a ride range of people. In 2008 I was lucky enough to hear him speak at Georgian College in Barrie and I got to meet him as well. The big event that Craig speaks at is WE DAY. WE DAY is where many others, as well, speak and perform and Craig talks about Free the Children and everything he has done with his organization.

Craig Kielburger is a true hero for everything he has done and accomplished. He is inspirational in many ways with what he does and especially when he speaks about Free the Children and the different countries he has been to and helped in. Craig is very motivating in being the change. Through what he does he demonstrates that we have to go from “me 2 we”. Craig Kielbuger to me is a hero because he helps others and is passionate about helping others without anything in return.

Kielburger founded Free the Children when he was 12  ((Susan Walsh /Associated Press))
Kielburger founded Free the Children when he was 12 ((Susan Walsh /Associated Press))