Craig Kielburger

by Gavin from Mississauga

"We are the leaders of tomorow" Craig addressing today's youth
Craig in 2007 (Wikipedia)
Craig in 2007 (Wikipedia)

Craig Kielburger was born on December 17, 1982 in Thornhill Ontario, Canada, and has founded Free the Children which is the world's largest "children helping children organizations." He is also, as of 2007, a member of the Order of Canada and has co-founded Leaders Today a training organization for youth. He and his organizations have built 500 primary schools and have given 50,000 children an education. Craig Kielburger lives in Thornhill, Ontario. He is my hero because he is a man of action, he has inspired me to help people, and has proved to me that anyone can make a difference.

Craig Kielburger is a man of action because he has taken action and built over 500 primary schools and provided an education for over 50,000 children and provided health care for numerous communities around the world. As well as in grade 7 Craig stood up in front of his class, and told them about an article he saw in the newspaper that morning. It was about a boy named Iqbal who was shot while riding his bike because he was trying to voice his opinion about slavery. Craig held up the article to his class and said, "We have to do something." Twelve people from his class started a group they called Free the Children and is now the organization "Free the Children" which has helped over 50,000 children. Thus making him a man of action.

Craig Kielburger has inspired me to help others through his humanitarian aid and that at the age of 13 he went to Africa and protested about child labor. When he got back to Canada he talked to the mayor and did some public speaking to inform the people what is really happening about child labor. Furthermore he then raised money for health care, food and to try to give the children an education. His persistence to try to help change the world has also inspired me to never give up.

Craig in Afirca (Discovery Channel)
Craig in Afirca (Discovery Channel)

Craig has proved to me that anyone can make a difference because at such a young age he stood up for what he believed in and brought people together. Also because he has not given up and will not give up and 16 years later he is still trying to stop poverty and child labor. Furthermore because he started Free the Children which has built 500 schools and educated 50000 children and he, has changed the world. Making Craig my hero.

In conclusion Craig Kielburger is my hero because he is a man of action. He has helped 50000 children, and has inspired me to help people. He has proved to me that any one can make a difference no matter how young they are. He has taught me to stand up for what I believe in and lastly he taught me never to give up.