Bill Gates

by Elian from Bandung

When first time I knew him, I wondered because he was very young. He was 45 years old at the time. I’m sure that he must be a great man. William Henry Gates III, or we know as Bill Gates, is the richest man on earth. He is very smart, a genius, and a great businessman. With his talent, he brought Microsoft Corp be the biggest and most successful corporation on earth. Now, everybody wants to be like him. But, do you know how he could reach the success?

Bill Gates was born in Seattle, Washington in 28 October 1955. He was known as a smart child. In elementary school until senior high school, he had shown an interest in mathematic and science. He had a great mark both in math and in science. When in Senior High School, he met with Paul Allen. Paul Allen was a computer teacher. With him, Bill improved his talent in computer programming. At 14 years old, he made $20,000 for making Program Basic 1.0, FOTRAN and LISP. He graduated from the high school and continued his study to Harvard University. Although studying in Harvard University, he still worked and studied together with Paul Allen.

In 1975, Bill with Paul Allen contracted with MITS, one of major program corporations at the time. From here, his name is famous in programmer world. Then, he made little corporation with Allen, named “Microsoft”, and both of them leave MITS in 1976. Then Microsoft joined a contract with IBM, the big computer company. For IBM, they made MS-DOS, the software of operating system in a computer. Again, because of some problems, “Microsoft” over the contract with IBM. Too busy with Microsoft, Bill dropped out from Harvard in the middle of the 80’s. In early 1980, Microsoft joined with Windows, and the relationship was very good until now. And in the middle of 1985, Forbes Magazine placed him to the first rank of rich men worldwide.

In Microsoft, Bill and Allen made a lot of patent rights for hundreds of software, and operating system computers. 31 years and Microsoft still leads, Bill is known as a great leader. He is good in management and decision making, and He brought Microsoft to be the most benefit company in the world.

Forbes Magazine reported that Bill Gates has not less than $56 billion in 2006. And it placed him still at the first rank of the richest man on earth. But, this condition didn’t make him arrogant, he is known as a philanthropist. In the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, he has donated millions of dollars for social needs.

The Gates Foundation - Bill and Melinda Gates created the foundation to help reduce inequities in the United States and around the world.