Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle

by Hadianto from SMAN 5 Bandung

The person I chose for my hero is a well-known author. He is Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle. He was a Scottish author who recognized with his detective stories, Sherlock Holmes, which was a major innovation in the field of crime fiction. He didn't write only in crime fiction but he also wrote science fiction stories, historical novels, plays and romances, poetry, and non-fiction.

Arthur Conan Doyle was born on 22 May 1859, in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father was Charles Altamont Doyle, and his mother was an Irish woman, Mary Foley. He started writing when he was young. While studying he started to make some short stories like Chamber's Edinburgh Journal which was published before he was 20.

He had five children. From his first wife, Louisa Hawkins, who died on July 4, 1906, he had two children. His second wife, Jean Leckie, gave him three children. In one of his stories he wrote that Holmes and Moriarty apparently plunged to their deaths together down a waterfall. "Public outcry led him to bring the character back; Conan Doyle returned to the story in 'The Adventure of the Empty House...' Holmes ultimately appears in a total of 56 short stories and four Conan Doyle novels."

Finally on July 7, 1930, "Conan Doyle was found clutching his chest in the family garden. He soon died of his heart attack, aged 71, and is buried in the Church Yard at Minstead in the New Forest, Hampshire, England."

The reason why I chose Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle as my hero is because some of his novels were based on true stories. I like reading his novels very much.