Anna di Domenico

by Aaron from Bradford

Do whatever you set your mind to
Anna's graduation photo
Anna's graduation photo

Have you ever had a mom that REALLY got HURT? I have because my mom was attacked when she was 19 years old and lived to tell the story. She had to have plastic surgery on her right index finger and suffered from a collapsed lung. She was in the hospital for 8 days. One wound was really close to her spine and she was lucky she wasn't paralyzed from it.

An article about my mom
An article about my mom

Anna was born in Malta, Europe, in 1966. When she was two, she and her brothers, sisters, mom and dad moved to Canada. Later on, her little sister Diana and parents moved back to Malta. Anna grew up in Toronto with her brothers and sisters. They were older than her. Anna went to Rockcliffe. Then she went to high school at Runnymede Collegiate Institute.

My dad influenced my mom to go back to school (college) and became a personal support worker at the age of 42. Her obstacles were facing the death of her father when she was 39 years old. My mom had to fly to Malta, where her parents lived, for the funeral and had to leave me behind for 2 long weeks.

When she went back to college to become a personal support worker, she received her diploma with an 85% average overall. My mom hadn't been in school for over 20 years. She now works at a long term care facility with the elderly and sick - mainly Alzheimer's and dementia residents. She enjoys her job very much.

My mom with her cast on
My mom with her cast on

My hero's character traits are strength because she got hurt and fought back, courage to move on, perseverance as she fought back and is alive today.

My hero influences me to have manners, and to be a better person to others, to treat people the way you want to be treated - and if at first you don't succeed, try again. Never regret anything you do in life as long as you learn by it.

Thank you for taking this time to read my story. I hope you have learnt a lot about my mom.