Ana Aslan

by Socaciu from Dej, Romania

Ana Aslan is my heroine because she dedicated her whole life to finding a drug to slow the process of aging, helping the old people abandoned by their families, and creating a reputation for our country.

Ana Aslan was born on 1st January 1897 at Braila, Romania. She graduated the Faculty of Medicine and dedicated her entire life to investigating the causes of aging, because she knew how important a healthy skin was for people to look young. In 1949 she experimented with a drug for rheumatic diseases in the case of a student who was in bed because of a joint disease. She continued the research in an institution for the elderly and highlighted the importance of improving disorders of age.

In 1952 she prepared Gerovital H3, a drug said to delay the aging process. In the same year, under the leadership of Ana Aslan Institute, was founded Geriatrics in Bucharest, the first of this kind in the world. Gerovital H3 has been patented in over 30 countries, being considered as a patent medicine to improve visible effects of various mental illnesses. For patients of the third age, the treatment with procaina has the effect of reducing depressive states of anxiety, increasing physical and intellectual capacities, improving skin and hair appearance and normal arterial pressure.

Effective treatment has been demonstrated and a patient of 110 years, 4 years after treatment, the shaking of hands and head nearly stopped, he could walk alone, regained appetite, his hair was white re-pigmented, his depression was replaced by a good mental state.

In 1956 Gerovital was presented for the first time in the international medical world, and from that moment the Romanian research in this field was imposed at an international level. The clinical evaluation of Gerovital determined to shift the series in the form of ampoules, and five years later and in the form of coated tablets, cream and capillary therapeutic lotion.

In 1980, Ana Aslan invented, along with Elena Polovrăgeanu, a new geriatric product, Aslavital, which is effective in treating nervous system diseases and cardiovascular diseases; shortly after being patented it was introduced in industrial production.

The participation and presentations of Ana Aslan at conferences and special meetings made Gerovital known abroad. It has won many supporters, especially outside the medical world. Famous products and treatments offered by the “Ana Aslan” centers drew in time, many celebrities, such as Somerset Maugham, Pablo Neruda, Salvador Dali, Miguel Asturias, Charlie Chaplin and Claudia Cardinale. Ana Aslan has amazed the world with the discoveries she had made in the medical world, so she is considered the founder of geriatry and gerontology.

She demonstrated that being eternally young does not mean you to be 20 years old, it means to be optimistic, to feel good in your own skin, to have an ideal in life for which you must fight and win. This is another reason for which I consider her my hero and I will follow her as a model in my life.