Content Provided by the
Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission
More information on Abraham Lincoln can be found on their website: www.lincolnbicentennial.gov.

Dr. Wayne C. Temple on Lincoln...

The Emancipation Proclamation. Source: The Library of Congress
President Abraham Lincoln left several huge legacies which have been passed down to the latest generation of Americans. Too often, however, we simply remember him as the one who issued the Emancipation Proclamation. That action finally led to the freeing of all the slaves when the 13th Amendment was passed at the insistence of Lincoln.

But his administration gave us several other important gifts, which we still enjoy today. The Morrill Act gave federal lands to the states so that they might create land grant colleges or universities  one in each state. The National Bank Act improved our banking. The Pacific Highway Act brought about a transcontinental railroad. The Homestead Act opened up the great West for settlement to those without large financial means. The Secret Service was established to combat counterfeiting, later expanded to cover other duties, such as guarding the President. And under Lincoln, the words In God We Trust  were placed on our coinage. As president, Abraham Lincoln, both publicly and privately  called upon God to save this nation wracked by a terrible civil war.

About Dr. Wayne C. Temple: Dr. Temple is the Retired Chief Deputy Director, Illinois State Archives.

ABOUT the Lincoln Bicentennial Commission

"The Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission (ALBC) commemorates the 200th birthday of Abraham Lincoln, emphasizing the contribution of his thoughts, ideals to America and the world, and serving as a catalyst for strengthening freedom, democracy and equal opportunity for all."

Visit www.lincolnbicentennial.gov for more information on Abraham Lincoln, and for resources and activities for teachers and kids.

Lincoln Bicentennial home | Our Partners | Looking for Your Lincoln Hero | Lesson Plans | More Lincoln Stories | Abraham Lincoln Biography
©2007 The MY HERO Project, Inc. All rights reserved. Please read our privacy policy.
Questions? Contact: support@myheroproject.org

Check out...
THE MY HERO PROJECT Global Exchange