Ellington Was Not a Street
by Ntozake Shange

ISBN: 0689828845

MY HERO recommends this book to children readers.

From the Publisher
In a reflective tribute to the African-American community of old, noted poet Ntozake Shange recalls her childhood home and the close-knit group of innovators that often gathered there. These men of vision, brought to life in the majestic paintings of artist Kadir Nelson, lived at a time when the color of their skin dictated where they could live, what schools they could attend, and even where they could sit on a bus or in a movie theater.

Yet in the face of this tremendous adversity, these dedicated souls and others like them not only demonstrated the importance of Black culture in America, but also helped issue in a movement that "changed the world." Their lives and their works inspire us to this day, and serve as a guide to how we approach the challenges of tomorrow.

Hero(es) associated:
Ntozake Shange

Users Reviews:

issabella 2/16/2008 7:51:44 PM
great book

ashia 2/9/2006 7:35:51 AM
great book read it before

Add your comments

Name

Comments

Human check: please fill in the answer below...
1,2,3,4,5,6,,8,9,10

Use MY HERO's Media Watch to nominate outstanding programs that celebrate heroes.

Copyright by The MY HERO Project

home | directory | participate | guestbook | create | news wire | teacher's room | short films | library | gallery | about | privacy policy | site map

©2007 The My Hero Project, Inc. All rights reserved.

Check out...
THE MY HERO PROJECT Global Exchange