Agatha Christie reinvented the mystery novel.Alexander Pushkin was a Russian poet and writer who is beloved around the world.Alexander Solzhenitsyn was a Russian novelist and dissident who won the Nobel Prize for Literature.Alfred Nobel founded the Nobel Prize Organization.
American War Reporter
Marie Colvin Killed in Syria
Amy Tan is a novelist and advocate of Lyme disease research.Anne Frank wrote: 'Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart. 'Anne Frank 'I don't think of all the misery, but of the beauty that still remains.'
Anne Lamott is an acclaimed novelist whose work mirrors life.Ariel Durant was a writer, scholar and philosopher.Booker T. Washington was an educator and the founder of the Tuskegee Institute. Bruce Coville first wanted to become a writer when he was in the sixth grade.
Carl Sandburg wrote poems, stories and nonfiction about Americans and American life.Charles Huffam Dickens was a famous 19th century English novelist whose work often mirrored his life.Christine Quintasket was the first published Native American woman author.Clive Staples Lewis wrote the Chronicles of Narnia series as well many other books.
Daniel Pearl was a Wall Street Journal reporter who reported the news with courage, integrity, and intelligence. David Seidler wrote the play and Academy Award-winning screenplay for The King's Speech.Deborah Ellis donates royalties from her books to organizations helping women and children in Afghanistan.Dith Pran let the world know of the genocide in Cambodia through his work as a reporter.
Dr. Seuss Dr. Seuss was an artist who also wrote charming, absurd rhymes. Edgar Allan Poe was a writer and poet who explored psychology and science in his works.Elie Wiesel explores the subject of the Holocaust in his writings so people will never forget 'history's worst crime.'Elizabeth Jane Cochrane
(Nellie Bly)
was a journalist who went around the world in 72 days.
Frances Ellen Watkins was a prolific author and poet who devoted her life to speaking out against slavery. Gabriel Garcia Marquez received the Nobel Prize in Literature for his novels and short stories.George Bernard Shaw was a witty satirist, playwright and critic who pushed the envelope for the meaning of man's place in the world.Gibran Kahlil Gibran was a Lebanese poet, artist and philosopher who is third after Shakespeare and Lao-Tsu.
H.G. Wells wrote science fiction novels that made people interested in science and space.Harper Lee is the author of To Kill a Mockingbird, a novel of the South.Harriet Beecher Stowe wrote Uncle Tom's Cabin to expose the injustice and inhumanity of slavery.Helen Adams Keller wrote about her own life and education.
Helen Keller overcame blindness and deafness to become an accomplished writer and advocate of the disabled.Henry David Thoreau was
a naturalist, social philosopher and writer.
Henryk Sienkiewicz was a Polish writer who is revered for his epic novels.Hortense Miller created a botanical garden on her hillside property and bequeathed it to her town of Laguna Beach.
J.K. Rowling is the author of the Harry Potter books.James Baldwin was a famed novelist and essayist.James Herriot inspired Sarah Cowan to become a veterinarian.James Joyce was an Irish writer famous for his epic, Ulysses.
Jane Austen in her short life wrote several classic novels. JK Rowling is the writer of the Harry Potter books and has inspired children around the world to read.John Ronald Reuel Tolkien created a complete fictional world in The Lord of the Rings.John Steinbeck wrote of his love of the earth and of the poor who struggled on it.
Jorge Luis Borges : his fiction imagines alternative realities.Josephine Ruffin served as the editor and publisher of the first newspaper published by and for African-American women.Judy Blume : her novels depict life's problems with insight and gentle humor.Jules Verne predicted the future of science.
Ken Saro Wiwa was a Nigerian writer, environmentalist and human rights activist.Langston Hughes was nicknamed the Poet Laureate of Harlem.Laura Ingalls Wilder offered young readers a glimpse of American life in the 1800s.Leo Buscaglia wrote many inspirational books about his work
in counseling.
Louisa May Alcott was the beloved author of 'Little Women.'Lucy Maud Montgomery is the author of the Anne of Green Gables series.Lydia Maria Child wrote brilliantly to advocate for the abolition of slavery.Madeleine L'Engle was the award-winning author of A Wrinkle in Time inspired young people with her books.
Mario Martin is a blind university Spanish professor who inspires others with his drive to suceed and his passion for Hispanic literature.Mark Twain was a prolific author and beloved American humorist.Maya Angelou is a beloved female author and poet.Michael Crichton is the father of the 'techno thriller.'
Mikhail Lomonosov was an important Russian polymath in science and literature.Naguib Mahfouz was the first Arab to receive the Nobel Prize in Literature.Nawal El Saadawi continued writing while in prison, her words could not be silenced.Nikki Tate writes books for kids who like horses.
O. Henry stories are filled with humor and compassion.Oriana Fallaci was an important Italian journalist.Pearl S. Buck was a Nobel and Pulitzer Prize-winning writer founded the first international, inter-racial adoption agency.Plato was a great thinker, philosopher, teacher and advocate for human rights.
Pramoedya Ananta Toer wrote his Buru trilogy inside the walls of an Indonesian prison.Ray Bradbury reaches out across time and space to touch readers. Robert Munsch is a favorite Canadian writer and poet.Robert Penn Warren was the first Poet Laureate of the United States.
Rose Wilder Lane was a prolific author who helped her mother, Laura Ingalls Wilder, become an accomplished writer.Sequoyah invented the Cherokee alphabet, which enabled Cherokees to record their history.Sor Juana Inez de la Cruz couldn't live
without learning.
Stephen King is one of the best known horror writers.
Studs Terkel The author who captured the stories of everyday people celebrates his 95th birthday.Terry Pratchett is a celebrated and imaginative writer who is raising awareness of Alzheimer's disease.Vaclav Havel despite censorship, wrote plays that helped keep the hope of freedom alive....Willa Cather was Pulitzer Prize-winning author and a pioneer in the women's rights movement.

William Shakespeare wrote plays & poetry that continue to have a lasting effect on readers all over the world.   

Check out...
THE MY HERO PROJECT Global Exchange