A Testament of Hope : The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr.

By Martin Luther King, Jr., James Melvin Washington, James Washington (Editor)

Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers, 1st Edition, December 1990
ISBN: 0060646918
MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.
From the Publisher
"We've got some difficult days ahead," civil rights activist Martin Luther King, Jr., told a crowd gathered at Memphis's Clayborn Temple on April 3, 1968. "But it really doesn't matter to me now because I've been to the mountaintop. . . . And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight that we as a people will get to the promised land."

These prophetic words, uttered the day before his assassination, challenged those he left behind to see that his "promised land" of racial equality become a reality; a reality to which King devoted the last twelve years of his life.

These words and others are commemorated here in the only major one-volume collection of this seminal twentieth-century American prophet's writings, speeches, interviews, and autobiographical reflections. A Testament of Hope contains Martin Luther King, Jr.'s essential thoughts on nonviolence, social policy, integration, black nationalism, the ethics of love and hope, and more.

User Reviews:
alicia | 2/8/2010 12:19 AM
i think its  a good book , because it opens up my eyes. And thanks to dr.king i go wit a white dude now!!!  i love you Dr, King
raneesha | 4/15/2009 1:15 AM
I think that the book was great because he spoke against racism thank you Dr.King

loayabdo | 1/8/2008 12:18 PM
i LIKE HIM AND HE WILL BE MY HERO
shaurice clark | 12/20/2007 3:18 AM
i like martin luther king not only because he's black but because he was a man of honesty and a man of fairness
mohamed rage | 12/12/2007 3:50 AM
Martin Luther King was Leader of African American people.
shakayla Grant | 12/12/2007 1:38 AM
When did Martin Luther King Jr. die

Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated on April 4, 1968.

-- The MY HERO Library Staff

solomon | 1/9/2006 2:46 AM
how can i get his book.

Check with your local library or bookstore.

-- The MY HERO Library Staff

Chele Lucas | 10/23/2004 4:37 AM
I love your book.  It showed me and my school that we can be better people. Thank you for your book!!

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews