Peaceful Kingdom: Random Acts of Kindness by Animals

By Stephanie Laland

Publisher: Red Wheel/Weiser 1997
ISBN: 1573241024
MY HERO recommends this book to readers of all age groups.
Synopsis
In the tradition of the bestselling Random Acts of Kindness series, Peaceful Kingdom speaks volumes of the compassion to be found within the animal kingdom. "Survival of the fittest is not always the case", says author Stephanie Laland. The truth lies closer to Eden, in a loving companionship between humans and animals. "While I was collecting material for a newspaper column, I was astonished by the diversity of the kindness stories I began to find. It wasn't just cats and dogs performing rescues and other loving acts, but dolphins and birds and even a pig".

While the headlines across the world reported that Binti-Jua, a female gorilla, had saved a young boy who had fallen into her compound at the Brookfield Illinois Zoo, a mother cat named Scarlett also rescued her kittens from a burning building. As featured on Oprah, Scarlett saved her family, suffering severe burns and creating a media frenzy that prompted thousands of people to inquire about adopting her.

Laland offers us hundreds of such anecdotes, as well as fascinating scientific facts about the inherent kindness of animals toward humans and one another. The stories range from the sweet and heart-warming to the overwhelming and surprising, including a tale about a canary who sacrificed her own life by relentlessly pecking at a neighbor's window because the bird's elderly owner had fallen down and could not get up.

Also included are a resource guide to animal protection organizations and pet enthusiast groups worldwide, dozens of quotes from famous animal lovers, and hundreds of suggestions on what we can do to give something back to both pets and wildlife. Animal expert Laland has compiled a uniquely memorable and inspiring gift for animal lovers around the world.

User Reviews:
shania | 9/25/2012 5:30 PM
very nice and kind
Jack | 10/18/2010 1:29 PM
Really good book.
Yvonne | 7/13/2005 7:38 PM
It's the best book I've ever read!
Jocelyn | 1/19/2005 4:39 AM
Thats so cool!

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews