William Wallace

by Ryan from Anchorage, Alaska

"This is the truth I tell you: of all things freedom’s most fine. Never submit to live, my son, in the bonds of slavery entwined." —William Wallace
William Wallace
William Wallace

William Wallace was a freedom fighter in the late 13th century for Scotland and Ireland against England. The English took over Scotland and Ireland under the rule of their ruthless king, Edward I, more commonly known as "Long Shanks." Wallace led a giant, country-wide people's rebellion against the military presence in Scotland in the hopes of a free country for its entire population. This was triggered by the execution of William's own wife for attacking an English soldier because he was trying to rape her. William was said to be over six and a half feet tall with incredible strength, intelligence, and agility. He was a master swordsman and horseman and was said to be extraordinarily handsome.

William Wallace was a freedom fighter, but he did not achieve freedom peacefully. He slaughtered English soldiers as they once did to the helpless women, children and the elderly of Scotland. He fought many wars by the sides of his brethren and dispersed heavy cavalry with spears twice as long as a man. He gathered and united a once-scattered nation of Scotland and led its people against the English to regain its freedom. He fought not only for freedom, but also for every human's right to own land, personal property, and the pursuit of a better existence. William Wallace fought for Scotland’s right to breathe.

William Wallace was born in Ayrshire, Scotland. Wallace’s father died while he was very young and he went to live with his uncle in Dunipace, near Stirling. He learned much of the outside world and many languages due to his uncle. He also became a prolific and feared fighter. He moved back to Ayrshire at 16 because of the English invasion. He fell in love and married there. He resided there until the rebellion.

The late 13th century in Scotland was a time of war between Scotland and the English. The Scottish throne was being ruled by a 4-year-old girl who was being overseen by a council until she was old enough to rule, and the Scottish nobility was weak. It was an everyday fight for freedom and personal liberties.

William Wallace is an important person in my life because he is a great role model. He believed in freedom and rights for all people and he stood by it. He fought and died for his people’s sake, so they could be free. He has made a difference in my life through his strong beliefs, but more by the action of not bending when others disagreed with him. He firmly stood by his belief of freedom and personal liberties. He died trying to save his people and for his cause... I don’t think you can be any more heroic than that!

bbc.co.uk - Some historical info on William Wallace.