Tuesday, April 24th, 2012
Associated Press

OBAMA HONORS NATIONAL TEACHER OF THE YEAR
by The Associated Press

(Image Credit: Jewel Samad/AFP/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama is honoring Rebecca Mieliwocki (Mil-WAU-kee) as the 2012 National Teacher of the Year.

Mieliwocki is a seventh-grade English teacher in suburban Los Angeles. During a White House ceremony, Obama said Mieliwocki maintains "big expectations" for her 7th grade class but remembers that "school should be fun."

Mieliwocki is known for inspiring and motivating students, often using the Socratic method of questioning to stimulate students' critical thinking and create dynamic lessons.

The president noted that the Burbank, Calif., teacher hosts family nights, sends out weekly memos to parents and maintains a Facebook page for her class.

Obama and Mieliwocki were joined in the East Room by winners of state teacher of the year awards.

Written by The Associated Press
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten , or redistributed.

Photos courtesy of ABC News
Images created by Jewel Samad/AFP/Getty Images

MSNBC Nightly News Enjoy a video of President Obama awarding the National Teacher of the Year

The MY HERO Project - Newswire Read about another teacher hero who rebuilt school in Haiti

The MY HERO Art Gallery My Family and My Teacher by The Learning Circle - Cor de Maria - Valls, Spain

More Featured AP_Story Heroes