Jordan Coleman

by Cezanne from Laguna Niguel

Life begins in the classroom. Do your work, study hard, follow your dreams and be a nice person. - Jordan Coleman
Jordan Coleman (http://www.sayitloudfilm.com)

Jordan Coleman is a young filmmaker from Hackensack, New Jersey. He was a character on the Nick Jr. hit the Backyardigans. He was truly living the life, not worrying about anything and working to fulfill his dream of being an actor, until one day his parents suggested that he should do something positive for his community. As a result he decided to make a documentary called "Say It Loud."

Jordan Coleman found that less than half of African American boys graduate from high school. So with this statistic in mind, in 2007 he used his own money to start a documentary. Jordan Coleman had noticed that "other African-American boys were not concentrating on school, they were more interested in becoming the next great football player, basketball player or rapper." So, to connect with his target audience, he interviewed famous rappers and athletes such as Kobe Bryant, Rev Al Sharpton, Ludacris, and many others about the importance of education. He asked them hard-hitting questions - for instance, what type of grades did they get? Why is it important to get an education? - just to name a couple. He thought if he interviewed his favorite celebrities,then maybe boys would like school more. Jordan made the documentary to inspire African American boys to beat the statistics by getting an education, to be the best they can be, and keep fighting for their dreams in life.

For Jordan Coleman the hardest part was editing the film, however the result came out amazing. Jordan's documentary is so truthful and compelling, it has won many awards such as America's #1 Urban Youth Film and finalist in the 2009 The Do Something Awards. He was even included in the CNN's Young People Who Rock. Jordan has not only affected his community, he also got people thinking about issues and how to change them. Jordan Coleman is currently touring the country showing his film to young adults to inspire them to continue with their education. He is also working on his next project. His goal is to show his film to at least 1 million people before the end of the year.

Because of this film, Jordan Coleman is seen as a hero and an inspiration to many young people. When asked about his own heroes who inspire him, he replied that he had two heroes: his mom and his grandfather. His mom is a hero to him because "she is a born leader, and she always make things happen". He sees his grandfather as a hero and looks to him for inspiration because, according to Jordan Coleman, "he is the greatest man on earth, really!"