Vojko Gasperut

by Primoz from Slovenia

My uncle at work (web page of the community of Piran)

My hero is Vojko Gašperut, my uncle. He was born on December 24, 1949 in a village named Sedlo in the Breginj area. When he was 10 years old, he moved with his family to Koper. On May 15, 1967 he had an accident and he broke his backbone when he jumped into the sea. From then on, he couldn't move his legs and hands, but in spite of all that, he took a painting course in Koper and he began to participate in painting exhibitions, ex-tempore, and artist colonies.

gallery (his web page)
gallery (his web page)

For several years he took part in various painting courses in Ljubljana. For two years he studied painting at the Municipal School of Painting and Drawing in Ljubljana. Since 1987, he has been a member of the VDMFK in Liechtenstein, a world association of painters who paint with their legs or mouth. He also participates in artist colonies organized by Caritas giving concrete support to people who need help. He has also donated many paintings to different humanitarian organizations with the intent of helping others with the money obtained from sold paintings. In the year 1993, he received the Tablet of the Municipality of Koper and later on, many other recognitions. He has had many exhibitions all over Slovenia and also in other countries.

gallery (his web page)
gallery (his web page)

Now he is 55 years old, and he is living in St. Anton with his family. He is still painting and joining different exhibitions and painting colonies. In spite of the fact that he is a disabled person, he shows great optimism and willingness to help other people. With his example, he taught me that we mustn't ignore or disregard disabled and poor people or marginal groups just because they are different, but we should try to understand and help them, not just because we could one day be in their place, but also because they deserve it.

Vojko Gašperut's Web site
Association of Mouth and Foot Painting Artists
Caritas Internationalis - is a confederation of 162 Catholic relief, development and social service organizations working to build a better world, especially for the poor and oppressed, in over 200 countries and territories.