Judy Feld Carr

by Sahara from Canada

The Talmud teaches that to save one life is to save the entire world. Judy Feld-Carr has saved the world many times over.
Judy and my family. (Judy is in the centre. We took this picture.)

In September 2003, when I was 8 years old, I had the opportunity to meet Judy Feld Carr. I had heard about the great things that this woman had done and how she had risked her life to do them. I was totally amazed at how ordinary she was. She was born and raised in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada, the same mining town that my mother was born in. It is the very same town my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins have lived in all their lives.

Judy's former home in Sudbury (My dad took this picture.)

Female, Jewish, and a busy mom living a busy life in Toronto, Judy Feld Carr secretly (without even her family knowing) collected money; she risked her life and almost singlehandedly brought over 3,000 Jewish people out of Syria between 1977 and 1991. The last person she rescued was on a plane flying from Syria on September 11, 2001.

Her story is so amazing that, later, when she met in her home with Mr. Troper (a well-known writer and author on Jewish history), he listened to her story and felt that he had just wasted his time with a nice lady who was obviously out of her mind.

A drawing of a note Judy left for her family  (I drew this myself.)
A drawing of a note Judy left for her family (I drew this myself.)

Months went by and she continued to phone and pester him to get the story started. Finally, he met her once more, again, in her home. He nicely told her that it was a wonderful thing that she had done, but he could not possibly write this story without solid proof. He was sure that this would put an end to this crazy story. Well, he was shocked, to say the least, when she simply excused herself, left the room and then returned a moment later with one box after another filled with carefully kept records and receipts of all her activities.

Check out this amazing story for yourself. I have included a few links. You can also get detailed information in Mr. Harold Troper's book The Ransomed of God: The Remarkable Story Of One Woman's Role in the Rescue of Syrian Jews (Malcom Lester Books).

AISH.com - The Rescuer about Judy Feld Carr.
Jewish Women's Archive - Judy Feld Carr by Harold Troper
Jewish Virtual Library - Judy Feld Carr
Judy Feld Carr - chabad.org - Buying Lives Judy Feld Carr's Secret Rescue of Syrian Jews
the algemeiner - Judy Feld Carr receiving the Presidential Award of Distinction of the State of Israel.