Cesar Chavez

by Oscar from Canoga Park

Cesar E. Chavez will forever be my true hero because of what he has done for the Hispanic farming society. He stood up for his fellow farm workers who were terribly abused by their fellow supervisors. I am very grateful that one person, especially a Mexican, stood up and went against the hard labor they were always facing in the United States. This person was tired of being treated like a peasant. He stood up for his rights. Many of today's farmers look up to Cesar Chavez and still see him as a hero. I myself am Hispanic. I owe a great amount of gratitude to this man.

For many years, illegal aliens have worked in the fields in order to make money and support their families in their foreign land. The farmers were sometimes not given many benefits. If they were to complain, the supervisor or maybe the boss himself would call the Immigration Dept. in order to get rid of those who did not follow their orders. A man named Cesar Chavez stoop up for their non-English speaking people and took matters into his own hands.

From 1952 until 1962, he worked for the Community Service Organization, a self- help group. Then he began working to create a farm workers union. The union was chartered in 1966 by the American Federation of Labor and Congress on Industrial Organization as the United Farm Workers Organizing committee, with Cesar Chavez as its president. In 1968, Cesar Chavez gained attention as leader as to a nationwide boycott of California table grapes in a drive to achieve labor contracts.

If I were to meet Cesar Chavez, I would definitely show him a great amount of respect and honor towards him. I would tell him that he was a great influence and a great leader in my life and in others peoples lives also. He is the best hero a man would ever want because he stood up for his rights and he achieved them. This comes to show you that even a regular person can revolutionize the economy and make a big historical difference. If this man hadn't done what he did, some of us would still be working on the farm or would be deported because of the horrible conditions that we would have to work under to make money. That is why Cesar E. Chavez is my hero. He was a real man.

Para leer acerca de Cesar Chavez en el español, visite la página de Cesar Chavez en Mi Héroe.

Powered by NopCommerce