Haz clic aquí para leer la historia sobre Bruce Coville en español

Ms. Sullivan's third grade class from the Walberta Park School in Syracuse, New York, identified the author Bruce Coville as their hero and found the following information from his website. The books of his they especially like include Sarah and the Dragon and The Unicorn Chronicles.

WRITER HERO:
BRUCE COVILLE
by Ms. Sullivan's Third Grade Class

Bruce Coville was born in Syracuse, New York on May 16, 1950. He grew up around the corner from his grandparents' dairy farm. As a child, he loved Mary Poppins and Dr. Dolittle, and he can remember getting up ahead of everyone else in his family so he could huddle in a chair and read The Voyages of Dr. Doolittle. He also read Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys , Tom Swift , and zillions of comic books.

The first time (he remembers) thinking he would like to be a writer was in sixth grade when his teacher, Mrs. Crandall, gave the class an extended period of time to write a long story. He loved doing it, and began to work seriously at becoming a writer when he was seventeen.

Like many people, he was not able to start selling his stories right away. He had many other jobs along the way, including toy maker, gravedigger, cookware salesman, and assembly line worker.

Eventually he became an elementary teacher, and worked with second and fourth graders. (Note: One of the teachers at our school, Mrs. Lamson, had Mr. Coville as a fourth grade teacher when she was young. Mr. Coville still recognized her after all these years!)

Written by Ms. Sullivan's Third Grade Class from Walberta Park School, Syracuse, NY
Photos courtesy of Lynn Spencer, Librarian

Bruce Coville's website

A bibliography summary of books he's written

Aliens Stole My Body
by Bruce Coville

I Was A Sixth Grade Alien #1
by Bruce Coville

Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher
by Bruce Coville

Juliet Dove, Queen of Love: A Magic Shop Book
by Bruce Coville

Odder Than Ever
by Bruce Coville

The Skull of Truth : A Magic Shop Book
by Bruce Coville

More Featured Writer Heroes