Press_Release

“Water Song” Directed By Will Parrinello Wins Best Of Fest Award At The My Hero International Film Festival

CONTACT: Wendy Milette FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Director of Media
[email protected]
949-376-5964

“WATER SONG,” BY WILL PARRINELLO, WINS MY HERO'S 2016 BEST OF FEST AWARD

SANTA MONICA, CA -11/17/16 - “WATER SONG,” a short film by Will Parrinello of the MILL VALLEY FILM GROUP, is the winner of the 2016 Best of Fest Award at the MY HERO International Film FestivalThe film tells the story of Máxima Acuñaa Peruvian subsistence farmer, whose persistence and strength grabbed the world’s attention when she successfully stopped a giant mining corporation from building a gold and copper mine on her property. Acuña stood her ground, and spoke out for the land she calls home. This award is MY HERO’s way of recognizing Acuña for her tireless work in the preservation of the planet and for the contributions of director Will Parrinello.

"Will Parrinello has contributed, year after year, stories about environmental heroes," said Jeanne Meyers, Co-founder and Director of The MY HERO Project. "WATER SONG" is a beautiful short film that highlights the passionate effort of Máxima Acuña, a brave woman whose stand for environmental justice is an example  of the kind of courage the world desperately needs."

The film is also the winner of the 2016 Dan Eldon Activist AwardThe award is presented each year by Kathy Eldon of the Creative Visions Foundation to an organization, or individual, fighting to give voice to those who have none. Acuña is also being honored with a Special Hero Award from The MY HERO Project.

Mohamed Sidibay, one of the hosts of this years MY HERO INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL, had an opportunity to meet Màxima at the 2016 United Nations General Assembly. He says their conversation had a profound impact on him.
Màxima Acuña
Màxima Acuña
“During my conversation with Maxima Acuña, she told me, ‘There is a symbiotic relationship between man and nature, and we can’t survive without each other. Growing up where I grew up, the land of my ancestors never failed us- they protected my family, fed us, gift us with their beauty and provided us with memories that will last a lifetime- and the least I could do is to keep my end of the bargain for the survival of my people. I love this world, and I love my land and country; I also know this is not an easy fight, but I am glad to know that we have people like you who are fighting for those whose voices have been muted,’” said Sidibay. 

He went on to say, “Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said, ‘When a man straightens his back, no one can ride him.’ Maxima Acuña refused to surrendered her dignity, her home, and her environment to those who would destroy it all in the name of commerce.”

Kathy Eldon, author, activist and founder of Creative Visions Foundation will present the Dan Eldon Activist Award in honor of her late son Dan Eldon, a photojournalist who was killed in 1993 while on assignment in Somalia. 

All three awards will be presented at The MY HERO International Film Festival Awards Ceremony, from 4 - 10 pm, on Saturday, November 19, 2016, at: 

New Roads School
Ann and Jerry Moss Theater
Herb Alpert Educational Village
3131 Olympic Blvd. 
Santa Monica, CA 90404
Màxima Acuna on her land
Màxima Acuna on her land
RSVP here!

The festival is part of The MY HERO Project, a 501(c)3 organization dedicated to sharing stories of heroes from all parts of the world. MY HERO's award winning web site (www.myhero.com) hosts the world's largest archive of hero themed stories, music, art and short films. 

To learn more about The MY HERO International Film Festival, email Wendy Milette at [email protected] or CLICK HERE.

To learn more about MY HERO, click here.

We are grateful for your support for our Global Learning Community.