Terry Fox

by Adam from Barrie

“I'm not a dreamer, and I'm not saying this will initiate any kind of definitive answer or cure to cancer, but I believe in miracles. I have to.”

Terry Fox was born in Manitoba, Canada on July 28th, 1958 to two wonderful parents, Rolly and Berry Fox. Little did they know that their son would make a massive impact on many people across Canada and around the world.

Terry grew up playing many sports including baseball, rugby and cross-country running. He also had a great passion for the sport of basketball. Terry received his High School’s athlete of the year award in his grade 12 year. After his completion of High School, he studied kinesiology at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia. He planned on becoming on physical education teacher after finishing University. On November 12th 1976, Terry was involved in a car crash. After trying to walk it off and let it heal itself, Terry decided it would be best to go to the hospital for a doctor to look at it. He was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, which is a form of cancer that starts in the knees. Terry learned that he would have to have his leg amputated and would have just a fifty percent chance of living. After a successful surgery, Fox became active in sports again by playing wheelchair basketball with the coach being Rick Hansen.

After going through years of chemotherapy, Terry Fox became discouraged with the lack of research going into cancer. He wanted this to change and thought of a plan to run across Canada after seeing the first handicapped person complete the New York Marathon. He only told his best friend Doug Alward. After training and running in marathons, Terry decided to tell his parents his plan. At first his Mom wasn’t all for it but she soon became supportive of the idea. Terry decided that his goal was to raise twenty-four million dollars or a dollar for every Canadian.

After receiving sponsorships for a van, gas and running shoes, he began his journey in St. John’s, Newfoundland alongside his best friend Doug who drove the van alongside him. The trip would consist of just over eight thousand kilometers. Each day he ran forty two kilometers or twenty six miles. He received warm welcomes and support throughout his journey. At first he was disheartened by the turnout he was getting, but by the time he reached Nova Scotia, many people lined the streets to support him. After receiving close to two million dollars, Fox’s journey was cut short with over five thousand kilometers completed due to cancer spreading to his lungs. He announced the next day after being diagnosed in a press conference that his journey was going to end in Thunder Bay.

After hearing the tragic news, CTV decided to hold a telethon in support of cancer research for Terry. Over ten million dollars was raised that day. He received countless awards including the Lou Marsh Award (Canadian sportsman of the year) and the Order of Canada becoming the youngest to ever receive the honour. After this, his health continued to decrease and sadly, Terry passed away on June 28th, 1981. Terry Fox’s legacy lives on to this day with Terry Fox runs happening across the country every September. It has helped raise five hundred million dollars worldwide with over seventy countries raising money for cancer research. Terry is clearly one of the greatest Canadian Heroes of all time due to him making the best out of a rough situation. He is the definition of a Leader.