Su Li-wen

by Janet from NNKIEH Tainan

2008 Beijing Olympic Games (Associated Press)

Su Li-wen is a Taekwondo contestant from Taiwan. She became a hero of Taiwan during the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. She isn’t a gifted athlete. She was sent to the taekwondo training center because she has a weak body. Since she was ten, she has faced set-backs due to injuries and frustrations one after another. But she sees her training as a process of fulfillment. She knows that the person who was not talented enough, should work harder.

With so many years of professional training, finally she stood in the competition arena of the Olympic Games. Unfortunately, she had hurt her neck at a critical time. The doctor had suggested she give up the competition, but she didn't take his advice. She had promised her father who had cancer that she would compete for the championship at the Olympic Games, so she insisted on competing in pain.

In the bronze medal competition of the under-57 kilogram class, she couldn't put her weight on her right leg without difficulty. She fell down again and again, eleven times in total. Every time she forced herself to stand up until the seventh time. She writhed in agony on the floor with pain etched on her face, but still told the referee that she wanted to continue to fight. Every viewer was cheering for this inspiring athlete.

She didn’t win the competition in the end and did not advance to the championship. Worst of all, her neck ligament was hurt and her left toe was fractured. However, her courageous behavior had touched many Taiwanese, making them proud of her.

After the competition she said, ”I just tried my best for each competition as all athletes will do.” Maybe Su is not famous in the world, but she is a household name in Taiwan.

She is my hero, and she also is a hero of Taiwan.

I'm from Taiwan and I'm going to share a story with you about a Taiwanese hero- Su Li-wen.