Dr. Sam P. McConnell

by Anthony from Hixson, Tennessee

Dr. Sam P. McConnell, Tennessee Hero

It is cool to go to a school that is named for a hero. Dr. Sam P. McConnell lived in Chattanooga for many years and was well known. He was born in Kingsport, Tennessee and died Jan. 2, 2001 when he was 88 years old. Dr. McConnell served in World War II from 1942-1945 in the Pacific War.

At 16 he graduated from Sequatchie County High School, Tennessee, and went to Hiwassee College. In 1946 he earned a master's degree from Duke University. He has an honorary doctorate from UTC in 1963. Dr. McConnell spent his life in education. He was the Hamilton County school superintendent between 1955 and 1974. The Sam P. McConnell School is where I go to school. I am happy that I go to a school where an important man dedicated his life to educating young kids. He demonstrated the characteristics of a hero by being honest, kind, helpful, and caring. He also served his country in time of war.

Publication: Chattanooga Times Free Press; Date: Jan 2, 2001; Section: B4; Page: B4

Dr. Sam McConnell dies; longtime school official
Source: http:// iis.timesfreepress.com/myaccount/Subscribe_Archives.aspx by McDonald, Emily