Stefan cel Mare

by Stiven Gradinari from Drochia

Stefan cel Mare
Stefan cel Mare
Stefan cel Mare (Stephen the Great) is the national hero of Moldova. His monuments are almost in every city, town and village from the country, his picture hangs in every school, and his face is on the national currency that is called "Leu". I believe that Stephen the Great is a hero because he fought 42 wars against the Turks. Whenever he won a fight he built a monastery. The most important monasteries are:
 -Monastery Voronet
 -Monastery Agapia 
-Monastery Putna 
-Monastery Dragomirna 
-Monastery Tismana 
-Monastery Moldovita 
-Monastery Arbore 
-Monastery Humor 
-Monastery Sucevita.
Putna Monastery
Putna Monastery
Stephen the Great had the longest reign in the history - 47years. He won 42 fights and lost only 2. He lived 71 years. He was a defender of Christianity and of liberty of the Moldovans as well as the Romanians. He built fortresses and always supported the arts and handicrafts. The qualities of a politician, diplomat and strategy, his actions to defend the country's integrity and initiatives for the development of culture caused admiration of contemporaries and he became a hero not just in our country, but in all Europe, too. I think that his exceptional qualities are worthy to be admired and repeated by any man. The whole country of Moldova would give everything to have a political system based on justice and a leader with qualities like my hero had.

wikipedia - the hero''s biography