Stephen Hillenburg

by Katie from Leawood

Stephen Hillenburg (http://www.animamundi.com.br/en/festival/program/animated-chat:452.html)

What is your favorite show? My favorite show is SpongeBob SquarePants. My hero is Stephen Hillenburg because he created SpongeBob SquarePants. While he was studying and teaching marine biology, he started writing comics about characters that resemble today’s characters of SpongeBob SquarePants, including Bob the Sponge. In 1987, Stephen Hillenburg quit studying marine biology to become an animator.

I don’t know if Stephen Hillenburg is funny in person but he is certainly a hilarious writer. Although the first season didn’t do well and couldn’t get a steady audience, my opinion is that the first season was one of the greatest with some of the funniest episodes. The SpongeBob SquarePants episode that was voted the #1 SpongeBob SquarePants episode of all time during the “Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash” “Pizza Delivery” was about when SpongeBob and Squidward had to deliver a Krusty Krab pizza, but something went wrong and SpongeBob and Squidward ended up going on a huge journey. The songs and jokes were very funny. A reason that I admire Stephen Hillenburg is because, even though the show didn’t do well in the first season, Nickelodeon continued the show into a second season.

The show was three seasons long before the movie The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie was released. It is my favorite movie of all time because of the humor and plot. The movie had SpongeBob and his best friend, Patrick, go on a journey to save King Neptune’s crown so King Neptune wouldn’t incinerate Mr. Krabs. Although it was intended to be the finale, the show continued into a fourth season. Following the fourth season, Stephen Hillenburg resigned from his job as the show’s executive producer but still worked as a subordinate.

Stephen Hillenburg’s creativity of the best show ever makes him my hero.