Bearded vulture flies to Romania; 1st time seen in decades

In this July 19, 2016, image provided by the Romanian Ornithological Society, a rare bearded vulture flies near Baia-Mare, Romania, the first time the rare bone-eating bird has been spotted here in more than 80 years. The bird, called Adonis, was born in captivity in the Czech Republic in 2014, in a European breeding program. (Sebastian Bugariu/Romanian Ornithological Society via AP)
BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) — Romania's Ornithological Society says a bearded vulture has flown into Romania, the first time it says the rare bone-eating bird has been spotted here in more than 80 years.

The large two-year-old male bird, named Adonis, was born in the Czech Republic as part of a European breeding program. It was then moved to France's Massif Centrale mountains, where a tracking device was attached.

Ornithological Society spokesman Ovidiu Bufnila told The Associated Press on Friday the organization was told that Adonis was in Romania, had come to a standstill and could be in trouble. Scientists located the bird on July 19, perched high, waiting for a dog's corpse to be eaten by other birds in far northwest Romania.

Bearded vultures feed on bones, which are digested in their highly acidic stomachs.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. 
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.