Peter I

by Julia from Murom

My hero is Peter I. I have chosen this hero because he was one of the most famous tsars in Russian history. He was nicknamed - "the Great". He is known all over the world.

He was the tsar of Russia in 1682-1725. He was born on the 30th of May, 1672, in Russia. Peter I had a sister called Sofia, two brothers Fedor and Ivan. His mother's name was Natalia Kirilovna Narishkina, his father's name was Aleksey Mihailovich.

Peter was unique in many ways. He was six feet eight inches tall and very handsome. He had a lot of energy and great physical strength. Peter I was a very determined, strong, brave person. He was very clever.

Peter I wanted Russia to be as great as the European countries. So he decided everything to change the government, the military and people's way of life. He built canals, factories, schools, hospitals and museums. He changed the calendar and the alphabet. He developed a new system of government and started Russian's first newspaper.

He was a very strong tsar in Russia. His activity changed Russia and Russian people. He was really the "Great". I try to follow his example.