Peyton Manning

by Ryan & Jacob from Hixson, Tennessee

Peyton Manning, Tennessee Hero

Peyton was born in New Orleans, Louisiana on March 24, 1976. He has two brothers: Eli, the youngest, and his older brother. His father also played football when he was a young man. Sports was important in the family. As a child Peyton played football with his brothers and father.

Peyton attended Isidore Newman High School in New Orleans, and attended the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. He graduated with a 3.6 GPA, his major was communications and business. Before Peyton went to Knoxville, he studied the Tennessee Volunteer football games. Peyton worked hard in school in spite of a learning disability. In 1995 and 1996 Peyton lead the team to victory to go to the Citrus Bowl. Peyton won many awards at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville.

The Indiana Colts NFL team signed Peyton up and he has been their star quarterback ever since. Peyton never forgot his friends, the poor and needy children at risk or his community. He created a foundation to help kids at risk. In April 2005 he was given the prestigious Byron "Whizzer" White Humanitarian Award for his work in giving back to the community. In 1999 Peyton created the PeyBack Foundation, the goal of which, according to Manning's Web site, "is to provide leadership and growth opportunities for children at risk." "As of 2005 the foundation has donated over $900,000 to children's programs in Indiana, Tennessee, and Louisiana."

Peyton demonstrates the characteristics of a hero by his compassion, dedication, and perseverance. He is a very honest man who inspires us very much.

Notable Biographies - For more about Peyton Manning.