Petro Sahaidachnyi

by Anna from Kyiv

Petro Sahaidachny (http://www.encyclopediaofukraine.com/History.asp)

Petro Sahaidachny

was born in 1570 in Kulchyntsi - and died on March 20, 1622 in Kiev.

He was a Hetman of the Ukrainian Registered Cossacks.

It was under his leadership Cossacks made the most successful campaigns against the Turks and Tatars. He cared about the martial glory of the Cossacks and the right population on his home land. Above all, Petro Sahaidachny did a lot for the Culture and Education of Ukraine.

Sahaidachny fought for the expansion of the Cossack Registry

He knew that everyone, even a small step in this practice will strengthen position of Cossacks in the defense rights of the people of Ukrainian nation and Orthodoxy.

Not least thanks to his work in contemporary public opinion a vision affirmed of the Cossacks as a symbol of the glory of the people.

Because of Sahaidachny, people called Cossacks their shields, their sense of power.

Because of them people had something that they can believe in.

He always donated money to schools and monasteries, defended the Orthodox faith, spread the lumen of Ukrainian lands. In his will, glorious hetman commanded all his money monasteries, fraternities and schools.

Petro Sahaidachny died in a battle from severe wounds caused by a poisoned arrow in Khotin (16 Before his death, Hetman bequeathed his property to educational, charitable and religious purposes, including Kiev and Lviv Brotherhood School. Sahaidachny was buried in Kiev-Bratsk monastery as a true hero.

His life - is an example of patriotism and love for his native land.

People said:   "He was a man of great spirit who sought danger, did not care about his own life, was swift and energetic in battle, cautious, slept little and was sober... was careful at discussions, and non-talkative in conversations."

He is a true hero, not just for me, but for all Ukraine.

Anna Klymenko writes: