Library

Obama: Young people need a chance to show their talents

by Associated Press

President Barack Obama, flanked by Jonathan Legessee, left, and Kevin Melgar, has lunch with participants in the White House Mentorship and Leadership Program, Thursday, June 9, 2016, in the Diplomatic Room of the White House in Washington. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama says young people are talented, but need a chance to show it.

Obama commented at a luncheon Thursday with Washington-area young men who participate in a White House mentorship program.

About 40 young men and women are participating. Obama, his wife, Michelle, White House staff and appointees serve as mentors.

President Barack Obama speaks during lunch with young men in the Diplomatic Room of the White House in Washington, Thursday, June 9, 2016. The group participated in the White House Mentorship and Leadership Program. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)
Obama says 11 men in the group are planning to study at Morehouse, Stanford and Yale universities, and enlist in the Marine Corps.

He says their plans show how talented young people are, but adds that they need to be given opportunities to show what they can achieve.

Obama says he and Mrs. Obama will keep mentoring young people after he leaves office in January.
President Barack Obama speaks in the Diplomatic Room of the White House in Washington, Thursday, June 9, 2016, during a luncheon with participants in the White House Mentorship and Leadership Program. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This 
material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.