Nick Vujicic

by Scott from Yucaipa

nick with his buddy
nick with his buddy

I think my hero Nick Vujicic should be considered a hero because he has no arms or legs and he has said, "GOD HAS GIVEN ME A SECOND CHANCE SO THAT I CAN DO ABOUT ANYTHING I TRY AND YOU CAN TOO IF YOU DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE IN WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Nick also said, "WHEN THE WORLD SAYS YOU ARE A FAILURE GET A SECOND OPINION! GOD HAS A PLAN FOR YOU!"

nick with his dog
nick with his dog

Nick was born into a Serbian Christian family in Melbourne, Australia, on December 4, 1982. Nick was born with a rare tetra-amelia disorder. Tetra-amelia is a very rare congenital disorder. He had 1 foot and 2 toes protruding from his left thigh, and no arms or legs. His parents were devastated and wondered why God did this to them. They didn't think he would live very long, but he proved to be very healthy. His parents were worried about what kind of life he would lead. After many months they realized that God was in control and would help them

Nick's life was filled with hardship and difficulties throughout his life. He had not been able to attend Mainstream school because of his physical disability. The law of Australia prohibited him from attending Mainstream school. His mother fought to change the laws and Nick was able to attend school. He was one of the first disabled students to attend mainstream school. He learned to write using two toes on his left foot. At school he was bullied and made fun of. He became depressed. He knew he was different on the outside but inside he was just like everyone else. He prayed and asked God to let him grow arms and legs, but it didn't happen. Nicks parents encouraged him to ignore the negative things people said to him, and try just talking to kids. Eventually, he began to realize that the things he was doing were inspirational to other people. He began to thank God that he was alive and realized that other people had major struggles too.

Nick went to college and graduated when he was 21, receiving a degree in Accounting and Financial Planning. He also started his own non-profit organization called Life Without Limbs. Today he is a motivational speaker, and has spoken to over 2 million people in 12 countries. He is writing a book called, No Arms, No Legs, No Worries, which should be published sometime later this year. He loves to swim, fish and play soccer. Nick can also throw a tennis ball, answer the telephone, climb stairs, comb his own hair, shave, and brush his teeth. He has an electric wheelchair that he gets around in when he is outside.

A hero is a person who shows great courage and is considered an ideal to follow. Nick Vujicic shows great courage and is an ideal to follow. I also think that Nick is a real hero because he has inspired many people with and without disabilities to keep trying and do their best in everything they try to do. Nick believes, "that if you have the desire and passion to do something, and if it's God's will, you will achieve it in good time." Many people see Nick doing things that seem impossible for someone to do without arms or legs. It inspires them to do things that are hard for them too. These are the reasons that I think Nick Vujicic is a hero.